Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2018

ERASING MEMORY

5 stars out of 5


My honest thought as I finished this book? Thank goodness I got my hands on it before relations between the United States and Canada started to go you-know-where in a handbasket. That's because, I'm delighted to report, I've found a new series to love.

Well, sort of new; apparently, it was first published in 2011, so I'm not sure why it hasn't made it across the border till now. I am quite certain, though, that I want to read more about "Mac" MacNeice (oddly, I don't recall seeing a first name), a senior police detective in the fictitious Dundurn, Ontario. Apparently, there are three more books to be released between now and November, so there's plenty to look forward to.

I really love MacNeice, who is still grieving the loss of his beloved wife. Oh, there are hints of a possible personal connection with his co-worker Fiza Aziz - herself an interesting person in that she's a Muslim with a doctoral degree - but nothing serious developed by the end of this book. Is it a thriller? Not really; I'd characterize it as a basic police procedural (albeit with a unique method of murder), and for the record, that's my favorite kind of book. 

As he returns from visiting his wife's grave, MacNeice gets a call to a murder that took place in a remote beach house. For more than one reason the woman can't be readily identified, but a bruise under her chin tells MacNeice that she was a violinist - as was his late wife. The rather horrific way she was killed doesn't help much in the clue department, so the motive remains a mystery as well.

But with input from the unusually perceptive MacNeice and investigative work by Fiza and other very capable (and likable) co-workers, the woman is finally identified; she'd recently graduated from a conservatory and apparently was headed toward a career as a professional musician. She had a wealthy businessman for a father, giving rise to the possibility that her murder may have been intended as some kind of message to him. But then, another body turns up - and connections between the two murders begin to take shape, as does the investigation itself. As much as anything, I enjoyed the character development and interactions; there are a few plot twists and life-threatening situations that keep the intrigue going, but at the same time I finished the book with a full set of intact fingernails.

In short, this was a joy to read (and thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review an advance copy). Now if I could just get my hands on the next one, hint, hint...

Erasing Memory by Scott Thornley (Spiderline, June 2018); 322 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment