Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2018

THE SUSPECT

4.5 stars out of 5



Although this book has recurring characters from the author's first two terrific books - The Widow and The Child - it's billed as a standalone. There's a reason for that; reading through this one, I literally forgot any familiarity with the central character, journalist Kate Waters, until very near the end. In fact, both she and detective Bob Sparkes appeared in those two earlier novels. I mention this to make it clear that readers who may have missed the first two should feel comfortable starting here (although I highly recommend reading those first simply because they're great - I gave both well-earned 5-star ratings).

This one is excellent as well; as proof, I'll note that I was happy that the few TV shows I watch with regularity were in reruns for the Christmas holidays so I could keep my nose in the book with fewer interruptions. At the same time, I must admit I enjoyed it a teeny bit less than the first two (emphasis on teeny). Timelines and perspectives jump all over the place in this one, although they're easy to follow; in the beginning, two girls take a time-out before heading to college to visit Thailand (why they picked that country escaped me, but if they'd wanted to get themselves in trouble fast, they certainly picked the right place). Now their parents have reported them missing, and Kate is all over the story - no doubt feeling a sort of kinship with the parents because her own son Jake abruptly left home to head out to "find himself" two years earlier and hasn't been seen by them since. 

Gradually, bits and pieces of what happens to the missing girls are revealed and the story isn't pretty (nor, in some respects, does it seem totally believable - hence my ever-so-slightly lower 4.5-star rating). And as readers might assume early on - and Kate learns soon thereafter - they have a connection with Jake. Exactly how they're linked  is for Kate and her detective friends to find out, and it may not be what Kate wants to learn. There are a number of twists and turns before the final chapter (and there's a bit of a surprise near the end that could, I suppose, come back to bite in a future book). Overall, it's quite an enjoyable book that I highly recommend, and I once again thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review an advance copy.

The Suspect by Fiona Barton (Berkley, January 2019); 412 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment