Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2019

ROBERT B. PARKER'S BLOOD FEUD

5 stars out of 5


Of all the main characters in the late Robert B. Parker's books - among them Spenser, Jesse Stone and Susan Silverman - I'd have to say Sunny Randall has been my least favorite (although I suspect that's mostly because I wasn't happy back when she had a fling with Jesse). After reading this one, though, I've moved her up several notches.

I'll chalk that up to the writing skill of the author, who was chosen by the Parker estate to bring this character back to life in this, the seventh book in the series. In many ways, I was reminded of the original as written by Parker; the above-mentioned characters and a few other old familiars appear here, either by reference to past interactions (e.g., Jesse) or in person (Susan is Sunny's therapist). And the action and dialog are, for the most part, reminiscent of Parker as well.

It is in the ways that aren't quite the same, I think, that make me like this Sunny better. I really can't explain it, but while the author has done a good job with keeping Parker's style alive and well, the subtle differences make Sunny his own. That may be a plus or minus depending on who's doing the reading, but count me among those who are very happy with the result.

As this one begins, Susan and her ex-husband Richie Burke - the son of longtime mobster Dominick Burke - have reconciled of sorts; they're getting together now and again (if you get my drift), but Sunny isn't convinced she wants to renew a more permanent relationship. In fact, she  commented that she'd "rather run my hand through Trump's hair" than get married again (that line alone won me over on the spot).

One night, Sunny is called with the devastating news that Richie has been shot; he's alive, but it appears that was by the shooter's intent - perhaps to send a message to his mob family. Not long thereafter, Richie's uncle - the youngest of the three Burke brothers - is shot, this time fatally. Someone, it appears, may be nursing a big-time grudge against the Burke dynasty. But mobsters don't share their secrets, not even with their own children (and certainly not with their children's ex-wives). To get to the bottom of things, then, Sunny has to do some serious investigation into family history - a process virtually guaranteed to threaten already tenuous relationships and maybe even get somebody else killed.

Of course, I can't reveal the ending. But I do have a verdict: Five thumbs up. And I have one other thing - a wish that the next one won't be long coming.

Robert B. Parker's Blood Feud by Mike Lupica (G.P. Putnam's Sons, November 2018); 335 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment