Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

THE MUSEUM OF DESIRE

5 stars out of 5

Okay, so my request at NetGalley to read an advance copy of this book was approved. Big whoop. Now I'm finished. Another big whoop!

That first one, which was a literal shout-out that roused my husband from his recliner, came becauseI've been a fan of this series right from the start; I don't recall missing a single one, so of course I was excited. The second shout-out (prior to which I gave my long-suffering hubby a heads-up) came because, like the others, this one is very good.  Main characters Dr. Alex Delaware and LAPD Lt. Milo Sturgis are in fine form with their banter (as well as their obvious respect for each other as they mesh their complementary investigative skills). Alex's main squeeze Robin gets some face time, as does their lovable pooch Blanche.

This one begins with a scene that unsettles just about everyone who views it, including Alex and Milo: Four very dead bodies are found in a limousine; the three passengers, two men and a woman, have been covered with blood (apparently after the fact) and posed in a very suggestive way. Other than the driver, identifying them all takes quite a bit of doing; but accomplishing that is followed by the even bigger challenge of determining the connection among the victims that could unearth a motive and the identity of the killer (or killers).

The nooks-and-crannies investigation, which I'm not about to detail here, takes Alex, Milo and his very capable team into a dark world of art (a nod to the book title) as well as the dark streets of the homeless and forgotten. If I have a "complaint," it's that the cast of characters is a rather large one, making it a little hard for me to keep all the names straight. In the end, though, no matter; this one kept me entertained from the first page to the last. Well done! And please, sir, may I have some more?

The Museum of Desire by Jonathan Kellerman (Ballantine Books, February 2020); 368 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment