Search This Blog

Thursday, December 26, 2019

THE STRANGER'S WIFE

4 stars out of 5

When I started this book, I didn't realize it's the third in a series featuring Detective Dan Riley. And by the time I finished, I was bummed that I haven't read the other two. That's not because this one doesn't stand alone - it does just fine on that score, thank the author very much - but rather because I really like the character. Oh well - now I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

The story follows two abused women; Beth's suffering is largely psychological, bestowed by her cold, uncaring but wealthy husband and father of their young daughter. For love, she turns to an affair with a man who isn't shy about showing affection to her or her daughter. Catherine's abuse is both psychological and physical, the latter often turning so violent that she ends up in the hospital. In part because her husband threatens to kill her if she leaves - and in part because she has no clue what she would do even if she did - she stays in the marriage but fears the worst.

Ultimately, Beth tells her husband Evan that she's found a new love and wants a divorce; he shows little emotion even then, but there's a not-so-thinly-veiled threat that he'll use his money and power to discredit Beth and gain custody of their daughter (at the very least). Riley gets involved early on when the couple's nanny and Beth's dear friend Marta goes missing and Beth calls in the police.

Marta's disappearance remains a mystery that stymies the police, but then "things" happen to other key characters in both women's worlds that require further police investigation. The "aha" moment, if you will, comes when Beth and Catherine actually meet; at that point it's clear (or at least it was to me) how the story would progress. The only question is specifically how it will end for the two women. Of course, I won't divulge anything except to say there are a couple of twists.

Although a few parts seemed a bit repetitive and I've read variations on this plot before, overall this is an easy-to-read, fast-paced and attention-holding book. In fact, I was grateful for the holiday lull in regular TV programming that allowed me to finish the remaining quarter without stopping - simply because I couldn't wait to get to the end. Well done, and I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review an advance copy.

The Stranger's Wife by Anna-Lou Weatherley (Bookouture, January 2020); 294 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment