Search This Blog

Sunday, January 12, 2020

WHEN I WAS YOU

4 stars out of 5

I read a ton of pre-release books, and when I get them gratis or at low cost from publishers, I figure I owe it to my benefactors to finish them no matter what. And if I've learned one thing over many years and many more books, it's that I'm right to not be too hasty to call it quits.

Such is the case with this book, which I got through Amazon's First Reads program. Somewhere around the 10% mark, I was ready to call it a day. The main character, Brienne Dougray, depicts the kind of woman who, for the most part, I simply want to smack upside the head - the kind who refuses to listen to reason yet complains about her lot in life and can out-second-guess a paranoid schizophenic.

It didn't take long, though, for me to be glad I hung in there. You guessed it: Not only was I pleased (and surprised) by the turn of events, but in spots I was so close to the edge of my seat that I nearly fell off. I won't say Brienne and I could ever be best buds, but the whole thing kept getting better by the chapter.

The survivor of an attack, Brienne has holed up in the old, spacious home she inherited. Just so she won't constantly be alone, she advertises for a tenant; goodness knows she's got the extra room. The ad is answered by Dr. Niall Emberlin, who turns out to be the caring friend and helper she needs. But then, she learns that her identity may not only have been stolen, but another woman is actually living her life: Same name, same car, same physical characteristics. That's puzzling, to say the least - especially since no one seems to have tinkered with Brienne's substantial bank accounts or credit cards.

Gradually, readers begin to suspect there's much more going on here (as does Brienne). But what? And who? And why? Alas, my review must of necessity stop right here; otherwise, I'd be revealing too much. Suffice it to say it's an enjoyable roller coaster ride complete with a few surprise bumps that make it even more interesting.

When I Was You by Minka Kent (Thomas & Mercer, February 2020); 282 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment