Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2020

THE KEY LIME CRIME

5 stars out of 5

I am not, as a rule, fond of cozy mysteries; give me plenty of blood, life-threatening action and bang-up endings any day of the week. But I'll also say this: There's nothing like a well-written cozy to take the edge off all that gore and angst and provide an enjoyable few hours of reading.

And this is just such a book. Admittedly, I'm new to the series; this is, I've read, the 10th featuring the personable and delightfully unobnoxious Hayley Snow, a food critic in Key West, Fla. I suppose my interest initially was piqued by the setting; honestly, I've never really wanted to visit anywhere in too-hot Florida except for one spot (you guessed it). Maybe it's the Hemingway connection (one of my retired English teacher husband's favorite authors); maybe it's the six-toed cats; maybe it's the chance to be Buffeted by some of my favorite music - I can't say for sure. And I can't discount being able to indulge in one of my favorite desserts, key lime pie. 

Of the latter, there's plenty to go around here (although I must admit that after reading the book I'm more enthralled by the key lime martini, for which the author provides a recipe - among others - at the end). For those wondering if they'll be lost starting with a book so far into a series, my answer is an unequivocal no; I had no trouble whatsoever understanding what is going on.

Hayley, newly married to Key West cop Nathan Bransford, is covering some of the food events being held on the island during the tourist-crowded week between Christmas and New Year's. While their houseboat is being renovated, she and Nathan are living with a somewhat kooky next-door neighbor. All that suddenly becomes complicated when Nathan's mother announces an unplanned visit - starting the very next day. She and Hayley have never met, this is Nathan's busiest time of the year and the houseboat is overcrowded as it is. Not the best time, then, for Hayley to witness a nasty incident involving one of the bakery-submitted key lime pies - and certainly not to find a dead body.

Hayley's innate curiosity kicks in, of course, aided and abetted by that of her mother-in-law and their elderly houseboat hostess. Nathan (also of course) doesn't take kindly to their intrusion into the investigation, but readers of cozies know that only serves as an incentive for the heroine to dig in her heels. Will she learn the murderer's identity without putting herself and her friends in mortal danger? Will Nathan forgive his bride for ignoring his advice? You'll just have to read the book to find out. All I'm willing to do at this point is say thank you to the publisher, via NetGalley, for letting me read and review this very entertaining book.

The Key Lime Crime by Lucy Burdette (Crooked Lane Books, August 2020); 320 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment