Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2019

RUN AWAY

5 stars out of 5 

Oh my - an exciting, can't-put-down thriller from one of my favorite authors. Toward the end, when the action really heats up, I thought I'd figured things out. But boy, was I wrong - and that made for even more thrills.

The first handful of chapters, though, did make me wonder how the rest would go. They skip from scenario to scenario - introducing new characters in each - making me worry that I'd lose sight of who was who (even though I expected the three main "stories" would merge at some point). And merge they did, in fairly short order - with each appearance adding details leading to the bang-up ending.

At the start, financial consultant Simon Greene is in New York's Central Park, following up on a tip that his runaway, drug-addicted daughter Paige would be there. And she is, but she's definitely not overjoyed to see him - and neither is her drug supplier and abusive boyfriend. Simon and the boyfriend get into an altercation that quickly turns physical - with Simon getting the worst of it - and both he and Paige get away.

At the same time in Chicago, hot-shot private investigator Elena Ramirez has been hired by the wealthy father of a son who's gone missing. Then there's a switch to  Ash and his partner, religious cult devotee Dee Dee, who have a penchant for killing - at least when someone else is willing to pay for their services.

The story primarily follows Simon and his pediatric physician wife Ingrid as they try to figure out why and with whom Paige, in her first year at college, went off the deep end - with the ultimate goal of finding her and getting her back into rehab. In-between chapters document Elena's efforts to find the missing son - which in the process puts her in contact with Simon - as well as Ash and Dee Dee's murderous pursuits. The details of each scenario begin to come together, leading to that gobsmacking ending I mentioned at the outset.

I have to be honest: I absolutely loved this book, but there were a few things that didn't quite ring true-to-life as I know it. But also honestly, who cares? Not me, that's for sure. Kudos on a thoroughly enjoyable, highly recommended book for which I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review an advance copy.

Run Away by Harlan Coben (Grand Central Publishing, March 2019); 384 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment