Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

GOLDEN IN DEATH

4 stars out of 5

The 50th book in this wonderful series? Wow. It seems almost more impossible to me that I've read almost every one of them (and, for the record, plan to keep doing so as long as the author keeps adding them).

That said, I was a bit disappointed with the 49th book, to the point that I actually used the word "bland" to describe the action (or lack thereof). This one does a decent about face in that regard as NYPD Lt. Eve Dallas and her capable team take on a presumed serial killer who sends golden eggs filled with deadly poison to his victims. As usual, in the middle of the action is Eve's dashing and filthy rich Irish husband Roarke, who offers his capable assistance to the investigation and keeps his wife running on all cylinders (and in gorgeous clothes). And as always, the futuristic setting - somewhere in the mid- to late 2050s - makes for fun reading (who wouldn't love to "program" up a spaghetti dinner or have a lifelike "bot" for a personal assistant)?

Noticeably missing, however, was some of the more edge-of-seat aspects of previous books and interactions with many of the characters we've come to know and expect to read about. Eve's fun-loving partner Peabody gets quite a bit of page time, which helps, but others - like Dr. Charlotte Mira and the irascible major domo Summerset - barely get mentions.

The story begins as the pediatrician husband of a private school headmaster gets a package containing a small golden egg. When he opens it, poison gas is released, killing him almost instantly. Apparently, the gas dissipates quickly, so no one else - including the investigating team that includes Eve - is in any danger. The victim was much loved by everyone, so a motive proves elusive until another person - this time a woman - is murdered in exactly the same way. Now, the race is on to find a connection between the two victims and find the murderer before he or she lays another egg.

While the last couple of books haven't been what I'd call exciting, I must say it's a relief to not worry so much that Roarke, in particular, might be seriously wounded or even killed off. He's one of my favorite book heroes, and I was on pins and needles in other books all the way to the end when I was certain he was safe for another go-round. Truth is, I'm kind of hoping things stay that way - my aging heart can't take much strain. As for this one, I enjoyed it and, as I said at the beginning, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Golden in Death by J.D. Robb (St. Martin's Press, February 2020); 400 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment