Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

ONE LAST LIE

5 stars out of 5

Okay, I get excited when I learn that one of
my favorite authors has completed a new book. When it's part of a favorite series, I get even more excited. By the end of the first chapter of this one, I had a big smile on my face. Now I've finished - and I want another one. The sooner the better, please and thank you.

Honestly, I don't know why I love the series so much. Of course, the writing is outstanding and the stories are complex enough to be hold my attention every page of the way but simple enough that my aging brain doesn't get lost. The setting of this, the eleventh book, is mostly in relatively remote parts of Maine - appealing on its own but more so to me because my husband and I have spent some quality time there (far too little, sorry to say). The author weaves historical information throughout, adding even more interest.

The main character, game warden investigator Mike Bowditch, is a man I'd love to meet - a bit reminiscent of C.J. Box's game warden Joe Pickett. The stories are full of action and straightforward - no chapter flipping from one time frame or one character to another that tends to drive me up a wall. This one opens with Mike in Florida to do a background check on an Air Force veteran who has applied for a Maine Warden Service job. While there, he runs into the woman who was his significant other for a couple of years; they're still friends and Mike now has a newer love back in Maine, but there's a hint that old flames never burn out completely.

Then, the ex-girlfriend's mother Ora calls Mike - whom they love like a son (more accurately, perhaps, the son-in-law who got away) to say her husband Charley has gone missing. He was last seen, in fact, in a heated argument with a vendor at a local flea market near their home in backwoods Maine. Mike knows Ora isn't a worrier, so he heads back home to try and track Charley down. Problem is, it becomes clear to Mike early on that Charley doesn't want to be found.

Or maybe he does.The old man leaves a cryptic letter to Mike in his seaplane, stressing that Mike shouldn't come after him. But Mike senses that's the opposite of what Charley really means. When he learns that  - the flea market fight involved a badge that belonged to a warden who was reportedly killed 15 years earlier, Mike's suspicion that something, perhaps linked to that dead warden, is terribly wrong is strengthened, as is his resolve get to the bottom of things.

The rest of the book follows Mike's efforts to unearth clues and find his old friend and mentor, all the while knowing Charley's life is at stake. But dark forces from the past seem to have made their way to the present, putting the lives of both Charley and Mike on the line. It's a race to the finish with nary a dull moment - and another well-earned notch in the author's belt. Many thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review an advance copy.

One Last Lie by Paul Doiron (Minotaur Books, June 2020); 320 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment