Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

THE LAST AGENT

 5 stars out of 5

Chalk up another winner in this series - after


reading the first, The Eighth Sister, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one. 
And it certainly didn't disappoint. I'm not a very "excitable" reader, really - and I'm always pretty sure an author won't put his or her series star six feet under. But the closer I got to the end of former spy Charles Jenkins' adventures getting into and out of Russia, the tighter I held my Kindle and the closer to falling off the edge of my seat.

Charlie, now married with two children - the daughter named after Paulina Ponomayova, an agent who sacrificed her life to save his in the previous book - isn't exactly happy with his former life. His own country betrayed him and even put him on trial for treason, so he owes nothing. But then, an agent from the CIA's Clandestine Services pays Charlie a visit - telling him that a woman believed to be Paulina is alive - but probably not well - in one of Moscow's nastiest prisons. 

After the way he's been treated, Charlie has no confidence that the agent bringing the news is telling the truth; he could be setting Charlie up for a fall that could be permanent. There's also no proof that the imprisoned woman is Paulina, although clues strongly suggest that is the case. In any event, the agent plays to Charlie's indebtedness to Paulina as he tries to convince him to return to Russia, determine whether or not the woman is his old friend and, if she is, get her out of the prison, out of Russia and  safe in the United States.

It's quite a tall order, and even Charlie isn't sure he's up to the task. His wife Alex isn't thrilled with the thought of such a dangerous mission, but she acknowledges that her husband is with her only because of Paulina's efforts. So off he goes, and the nonstop adventure begins - starting with a surreptitious and almost disastrous venture to Russian soil. First up is identifying the woman; for help with that, he must find a former Russian officer who once was Charlie's nemesis.

It is here that I must stop; otherwise, I'd give away too much. Suffice it to say Charlie's adventure only gets more fast-paced and frightening as the chapters zip along to an exciting end - one that leaves the door open for the next adventure. I'm more than ready - and until then, I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for allowing me to read and review an advance copy of this one.

The Last Agent by Robert Dugoni (Thomas & Mercer, September 2020); 405 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment