Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

THE CYCLIST

4 stars out of 5

Marked a "top pick" at Amazon for this year, the description sounded interesting so I snapped it up. It's the second in the series featuring Detective Sergeant George Cross; I did not read the first, and while I enjoyed this one and will say it stands alone fairly well, I suspect I'd have liked it even more had I read them in order. That said, I liked the character so much that I got the first (The Dentist) as well.

And it really is the character who makes the story so interesting; he has Asperger's Syndrome, which is both a curse and a blessing. On the downside, the condition means he lacks awareness of social skills (such as not recognizing when someone is joking or responding inappropriately - or not at all - to the emotions of others). Conversely, he pays great attention to detail and has an almost uncanny ability to intuit clues that lead to closure of the most difficult cases.

This one is a doozy; a body turns up in a deserted section of garages in Bristol, U.K. After close inspection, Cross notices tan lines on the body, leading him to determine that the man was a cyclist (hence, no doubt, the reason for the book's title). From there, a few other clues he unearths bring relatively quick identification. Cross is assisted by his capable partner, D.S. Josie Ottey, and it's a treat to watch their interactions as she adjusts to his condition and at the same time tries to teach him how to interact more sociably with others, including department trainee Alice Mackenzie.

Eventually, Cross and Ottey learn that the victim, part-owner with his brother of their parents' successful restaurant, has his fingers in a few other pies that aren't quite so legitimate (nor as successful). That knowledge also expands the investigation to several more suspects and a few dead ends before Cross finally ferrets out the truth and a rather surprise ending.

I do admit it took several chapters before I really got into the story -  mostly, I guess, because the writing is a little stilted (in truth, it almost seemed as if it were written by someone who has Asperger's). But once I got the rhythm, my interest started to hum along and it was hard to put it down. In short, I'm hooked - and hopefully before long I'll have time to get to the first book before the next one comes out. Good job!

The Cyclist by Tim Sullivan (Pacific Press, September 2020); 259 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment