Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2021

THE BOUNTY

4 stars out of 5

From the first page to the last, I kept thinking that this would make a terrific action-packed motion picture. As for the book? Well, it would make a terrific action-packed movie.

Mind you, I haven't read any of the six preceding books in this series that feature FBI Special Agent Kate O'Hare and professional con man Nick Fox. But I'm intimately acquainted with virtually all of author Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books and am a big fan of author Lee Goldberg, who co-wrote the first five in this series. And, I've read and enjoyed two books by the co-author of this one. So when I got the chance to read and review a pre-release copy, I was delighted.

Now that I've finished, though, I'm a little less enthused; the whole thing struck me as a bit shallow. To be sure, the action never stops (think Indiana Jones on steroids) which, generally speaking, is a good thing - certainly in a movie. In written form, though, it just seemed to be too much, too fast. Beyond that, the limited conversation among the various characters - especially between O'Hare and Fox, despite a few humorous and sexually suggestive one-liners - failed to give me any real insights into their characters or entice me to develop anything close to camaraderie with any of them. 

The plot itself is intriguing; it begins at the Vatican Museum, as Kate and Nick try to thwart a robbery in progress. They're told the target is a priceless diamond-encrusted ring; but turns out it was a very old map which, rumor has it, leads to $30 billion in gold supposedly hidden after World War II by a group of Nazis called the Brotherhood. As it also turns out, the thief - who gets away in fine James Bond fettle - is someone very familiar to Nick.

The resulting chase takes Nick and Kate - who also gets help from a familiar figure - to historic locations in several countries, each adventure fraught with almost unimaginable danger. In fact, what impressed me most about the book is the attention to detail with regard to their surroundings at each new venue; clearly, effort was put into research and making those parts very interesting (at least to me). At each spot, the goal is to find the next piece of the map - hopefully leading to the final piece and, of course, the gold.

Was anyone harmed in the process? Several (but my lips are sealed). Did the gold really exist and did they find it? Still not talking. Overall, it's a thrill-a-minute adventure that most likely will be enjoyed most by those who read the previous books. Thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for this one.

Now when can we expect that movie? I've got a few ideas for casting (hint: call me).

The Bounty by Janet Evanovich and Steve Hamilton (Atria Books, March 2021); 320 pp.


No comments:

Post a Comment