Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

DEAD BY DAWN

5 stars out of 5

If for no other reason than I can lose myself in backwoods adventure, I always look forward to the latest book in this always entertaining series. That said, it certainly doesn't hurt to have an interesting, charismatic character like Maine game warden Mike Bowditch popping up in the pages, and this may be one of the most action-packed editions I've read, with my man fighting tooth and nail for his very life.

To that end, I have to admit this isn't my favorite of all that I've read, but that's purely a personal thing that has nothing to do with the quality of writing or the plot. When a character is put under this kind of physical and mental stress, I don't much enjoy reading about it (no, I don't worry much about him or her getting bumped off  - it's a series, for gosh sake) - but it's a little too anxiety provoking for me. Along with that, I kept wishing some of the other characters would get buried in all the snow - or torn limb from limb by Mike's wolf-dog, Shadow - just because they are so over-the-top vile. Of course, whether either of those options comes to pass I won't say lest I give away too much.

The story begins in the present, when Mike puts his Jeep pedal to the metal and ends up in a mostly frozen river. He makes it out alive, but with little to help him survive except his own skills and instincts. Chapters then follow what led up to the ambush - with emphasis on those aforementioned vile characters. These are interspersed with chapters detailing how he's holding up in the snow and frigid temperature, and everything comes together for a bang-up finale (nope, can't reveal that, either).

If you haven't already guessed, this is one of my favorite series, in which this is the 12th entry. Endless thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review another installment. Well done once again - please keep 'em coming!

Dead By Dawn by Paul Doiron (Minotaur Books, June 2021); 304 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment