Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2021

THE CHILD IN THE PHOTO

4 stars out of 5

My feelings about this book are mixed. On the one hand, it's an intriguing story - one with enough twists and turns to keep me turning the pages of my Kindle all the way to the end. But the end? It happened so abruptly - and in my mind, incompletely, that I actually said out loud, "Wait - is that all there is, or did I miss something?"

But back to the beginning: Someone slips an old newspaper article to 34-year-old Hope Taylor about a baby girl who was taken from her mother three decades earlier. Nothing to get excited about, at least until Hope spots a very unique and unusual physical characteristic on the baby that she shares. Coincidence? Unlikely - but Hope loves her parents, who took good care of her, especially when she was in a bad accident. Her mother, when Hope confronts her, says all the right things; but the next day, Hope sees her burning papers in the garden and her reasons for doing so are less than satisfactory. 

When she tells her good platonic friend, Stephen, what happened, he insists that they go meet the woman whose daughter was stolen all those years ago. They break in, and Hope finds evidence that this woman's baby wasn't the only one stolen back then. Later still, Hope returns and actually meets the mother, who is absolutely positive that Hope is her missing daughter - a daughter she wants back in her life. In the midst of all this, Stephen must deal with a personal incident that could have been deadly.

Still reeling, the only thing both Hope and Stephen are sure of is that they don't want to tell the police. And that was a turn-off for me, because I just couldn't buy their rationalizations for not doing so (although if Hope, in particular, had done so at that point I guess there wouldn't have been much of a story left). Then Hope gets a visitor who brings an even bigger surprise; and with that, I must stop and not give away anything more. Suffice it to say that trying to sort everything out becomes an emotional roller coaster - one on which it's next to impossible to see where the next turn will come and where it's going.

Most of what happens gets resolved, but not all; as I indicated at the beginning, I wasn't totally satisfied and felt that several loose ends never got tied up. But overall, there's plenty of action here that should keep most readers not wanting to put the book down (think: Summer's coming and a relaxing chaise on the beach with a good book is starting to sound great). I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for allowing me to read and review a pre-release copy.

The Child in the Photo by Kerry Wilkinson (Bookouture, June 2021); 318 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment