Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

THE CELLIST

5 stars out of 5

Every time I finish a book in this series - this is the 21st, and I don't think I've missed a single one - I'm in awe of the writing. How in the world can an author concoct such an intricate plot to begin with, let alone flesh it out in such a way that readers hang on every word? I've got no answer, so all I can say is that he's done it again.

The story begins with the death of exiled Russian Viktor Orlov, who's been hanging out in luxury in London while he rags against the current powers-that-be in his home country. The death catches the eye of Gabriel Allon, top-notch Israeli spy (now director general of the agency), who's also an art restoration expert. The Russian, you see, once saved the life of Gabriel and his wife, Chiara - so he's understandably interested in bringing the killer to justice (one way or another). When it's learned that one of Viktor's employees, a woman also known to Gabriel, is the one who delivered papers covered with a deadly nerve agent to Viktor and has since disappeared, the assumption all around is that she's responsible. Not, so, Gabriel argues - and he sets out to prove it.

What follows is carrying out a complicated plan to bring down an international "dirty" bank that's known for laundering Russian money, specifically that of the all-powerful Russian president and his also all-powerful childhood friend who's actually in control of an obscene amount of the president's personal stash. It brings together most of Gabriel's team - characters familiar to readers of the series - who must rise to what appears to be a nearly impossible challenge. While I won't provide details, I will say it also involves a woman who's quite an accomplished cellist (hence, I assume, the reason for the book's title) and another who used to be, shall I say, rather close to Gabriel.

I will caution, though, that while names aren't named, readers who are among those who continue to insist that the previous U.S. Presidential election was rigged and the wrong guy "won" may want to take a pass on this book. Also, Chiara and twins Irene and Raphael really aren't players in this scenario (more's the pity), but indications are that this might change in the next installment for a variety of reasons. Loved this one (no surprise here since I've loved them all), so I'll be waiting!

The Cellist by Daniel Silva (Harper, July 2021); 477 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment