Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2021

BLACK & BLUE

4 stars out of 5

A nudge from the cousin who introduced me to this wonderful series that a new one, the 7th, is now available reminded me that I've read just three of the books despite loving them. So, I vowed to carve out some time to catch up, starting with this, the 4th. Honestly, it's not my favorite of the bunch so far, but it's still very good and kept me wanting to read more about Lord and Lady Hetheridge (a.k.a. Tony and Kate).

Cantankerous relatives of New Scotland Yard Detective Sergeant Kate Wakefield, wife of Anthony Hetheridge, ninth baron of Wellegrave and chief superintendent for the Yard and Kate's boss, are making things miserable at their Mayfair home - even Tony's manservant, Harvey, is having a hard time keeping the peace. When the dead body of modern art dealer Granville Hardwick turns up at his garish home in a posh neighborhood, it's almost a relief that Tony and Kate can get away from the chaos - much of which centers around Kate's sister Maura's son Henry, who's been living with the Hetheridges.

Kate and Tony are handling the murder investigation with help from some characters from previous books including Paul Bahr, who's now living with his romance-book writing mother. She's going a bit bonkers because, as it turns out, her new boyfriend is the prime suspect in the murder.

Action heats up in both the home and murder case situations until both are brought to an end (no, I won't reveal details of either). Meanwhile, Tony is taking heat of a different sort that could well result in major changes to both his professional and personal life. All told? Another good one. I do, however, advise those new to the series not start with this one lest they become a bit confused. As for me, I'm already hoping to get started on the next one.

Black & Blue by Emma Jameson (Lyonnesse Books, May 2015); 262 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment