Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2022

A DEATH AT SILVERSMITH BAY

3.5 stars out of 5

I'm such a huge fan of this author's Lord and Lady Hetheridge cozy mystery series that I was thrilled to discover this one featuring special collections librarian Jemima Jago. It was entertaining - especially after a noticeable improvement after the second half or so - but I can't say I'm super eager to read another one.

That may be in part because I haven't read any others - this is the third in the series. And while it stands alone fairly well for the most part, the references to events that clearly happened in previous books left me wishing for a little bit more detail (like how is she able to hold down a job at which she works only a couple of hours a week and from which she can take big chunks of time off). Add in some glitches like a character who's unable to use a cell phone because of a dead battery only to pick it up and make a call 15 minutes later, and I was left scratching my head more than once.

All that aside, the story itself is intriguing. Jem has just returned to Penzance, where it appears she has a flat and a job, after weekends spent on the Isles of Scilly, where apparently her investigative skills earned her the nickname "Scilly Sleuth" (that struck me as kind of scilly, truth be told, but then this is a cozy and such things aren't all that unusual). Anyway, Jem returns to a flat that stinks to high heaven because, she discovers, there are bags of garbage in her bathtub. Besides that, there's a cat who seems to have made himself right at home and a young woman who turns out to be Jem's eight-years-younger sister Tori - and the less said about this wench the better. But worst of all, there's a bloody weapon in one of the trash bags. The aforesaid Tori, who's basically been passed out drunk, comes up with an explanation for how the garbage bags got where they are, but Jem isn't buying it for an instant (nor would any sane person). Bottom line for me from that point on was whatever Tori gets, she deserves; Jem seems to have a forgiving streak, but Tori gets zero sympathy from me and for sure would get the boot if she tried to hunker down at my place.

Amid all the brouhaha with the garbage bags - Jem finally does call in the cops - she and her good friend Micki go to visit a local bookstore and find the owner, who's Micki's former sister-in-law, rather dead. And wonders never cease: It looks as if she's been hit in the head with a weapon eerily similar to the one in Jem's garbage bag. Since the police seem to be having a tough time investigating on their own - another thing that somehow always happens in a cozy mystery - Jem decides to take matters into her own hands (ditto). She gets some help from a childhood sweetheart who's still sweet, making things a little confusing for Jem since she's hot to trot for another potential sweetheart I assume became that way in previous books. Oh my, however will she choose?

I won't answer that question, nor will I serve up details of the investigation that comes to a conclusion during a sort of intervention in that aforesaid bookstore. Overall, it's rather a fun book, but I strongly suggest that to get the most out of it, readers should start at the beginning. As for me, I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for offering me a pre-release copy to read and review.

A Death at Silversmith Bay byEmma Jameson (Bookouture, February 2022); 256 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment