Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

RUN, ROSE, RUN

4 stars out of 5

Considering that I've read more than my fair share of books by prolific author James Patterson, it's fair to say I'm a fan. Same for Dolly Parton; I love her music (the Trio album with Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt is near the top of my 10 all-time favorites list and I've seen her in concert). But a book co-written by the two? Seriously? Curiosity got the better of me, though, so I requested - and received - a review copy (thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley). And while I won't call it an edge-of-seat, bite-your nails thriller - it's more a coming-of-age-in-the-music-business kind of story - by golly, it was quite entertaining. 

AnnieLee Keyes, a young thing purty as a speckled pup under a big red wagon and determined to write and sing songs that climb to the top of the Country-Western chart hitchhikes from Texas to Nashville and - with no money and no guitar - convinces a bartender to let her borrow an instrument and take to the stage. She makes quite an impression; next thing you know, she's under the wing of megastar Ruthanna Ryder, who is officially retired from the business and lives a life of luxury, complete with a recording studio in her basement. Add to the mix hunky and single Ethan Blake, who [surprise!] is attracted to AnnieLee but is hesitant to 'fess up because he knows the only stars in her eyes are a reflection of her desire to become one.

The rest of the story centers on AnnieLee's journey to the top and the obstacles the industry throws at star wannabes - plus the secrets that both AnnieLee and Ethan have in their past lives that threaten their current plans (perhaps even permanently). If I had to guess, I'd say the story concept was a joint venture, after which Patterson did most of the writing and Dolly contributed her vast knowledge of the music business from a performer's perspective as well as lyrics to several songs "composed" by AnnieLee, Ruthanna and Ethan. At the end of the book are the full lyrics to these songs, though without accompanying music, I found it a little hard to hum along.

In the end, the unlikely duo won me over, and I think most other readers will enjoy the book as well. Good job!

Run, Rose, Run by Dolly Parton and James Patterson (Little, Brown and Co., March 2022); 425 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment