Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2022

BLACK DOG

5 stars out of 5

Prolific author Stuart Woods passed away July 22, 2022, I'm sorry to say - just a few days before this book was released. But I'm comforted by knowing he wrote more than 90 novels in his 84 years and that I've read most of those in his popular Stone Barrington series (of which this is the 62nd). I'm sure I speak for other readers when I say he'll be missed.

As far as the Barrington books go, while I've grumbled about the somewhat boring content of some (at one point, I referred to him in my reviews as Stone Yawnington), the last few have been quite enjoyable. And I must say this one is notable to me because of the humor - yes, I out-loud chuckled my way through it, polishing it off in the equivalent of maybe half a day just because I wanted to.

This time out, Stone's uber-efficient secretary, Joan Robertson, plays a leading role. For openers, she brings her mother's youngest sister, Annetta Charles, into Stone's prestigious law firm as his client. An extremely wealthy recent widow, she wants to make a new will - and the firm gets the potential to earn a goodly amount of "rain," as Stone puts it (methinks he's become quite woke since the last book). It also puts Stone in contact with Annetta's stepson, a young man she dubs "Black Dog" because he's "too awful" to be a black sheep. To say he's an obnoxious pest would be a kindness; unfortunately, it just may be he's dangerous to boot.

As the story progresses, Stone (and Joan) try their best to keep him at bay and themselves alive, but most of the time the best they can do is play clean-up. No one is safe - not Stone, nor Joan, nor even Stone's friend and police commissioner Dino Bacchetti. But despite everybody's suspicions, the jerk somehow manages to elude detection and certainly arrest - even when murder is involved. Throughout it all, Stone and Dino don't miss a beat - and neither do they miss many of their nightly dinners at some of New York's finest restaurants. Stone's well-known penchant for bedding beautiful women seems turned down a notch, but that's probably more from lack of opportunity than desire.

I can't say the rather abrupt ending was satisfying to me, but for Stone, all's well that ends well as usual. All in all, it's another fun romp that loyal readers should love. Many thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for providing me with a pre-release copy. 

Black Dog by Stuart Woods (G.P. Putnam's Sons, August 2022); 299 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment