Search This Blog

Friday, March 3, 2023

THE NEW ONE

5 stars out of 5

A book review or two ago, I spoke of how unusual it was to find a book in this genre with a truly different story to tell. Little did I know - nor did I dare hope - that I'd find another one. But find one I did, nd by golly, it's a doozy.

The premise also is more than a little unsettling to me. Don't misunderstand - I'm a huge fan of technology, and my biggest fear of leaving this world is that I'll miss out on watching, and experiencing, all the advances that are sure to come. All the same, a few things on the developmental horizon that are often in the news frighten me a bit, such as artificial creation of human life (or purposefully altering it, as in gene manipulation) and artificial intelligence. While the prospects of both are exciting, I realize the enormous potential for misuse. So it was, then, that this book grabbed me from the git-go when Ed Trelawny's daughter, Scarlett, is rendered comatose following a hit-and-run - and Ed is offered the chance for her to participate in a research project in which a "new" daughter will be created from his daughter's body. In return, Ed, his wife and their "reanimated" daughter Sophie must exchange their drab, semi-miserable life in England for one of luxury near the research facility in Switzerland. Oh gosh, I said - what could possibly go wrong?

For openers, not long after Ed, his wife Tamsyn and Sophie are beginning to adjust to their new environment (quite happily, in fact), Scarlett - who really wasn't expected to recover - opens her eyes. And speaks. And soon, she recovers sufficiently to go home to be with her parents and, in many aspects, "twin" sister - one who's been programmed to be, well, an improvement of sorts. Oh gosh, I said once again - what could possibly go wrong?

Trust me, it's plenty - including an unexpected rivalry between the two girls that threatens to pull the family apart once again (or worse). Chapters trace what's going on both past and present from the perspectives of various family members. As the end nears, I was itching to get on with it - and then got hit with a whopper of a twist. More than that I can't say without giving away too much, but I won't hesitate to say I couldn't put this one down. Many thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for giving me the opportunity to read and review a pre-release copy. As for those reading this review, I urge you to read it for yourselves. Wow!

The New One by Evie Green (Berkley, March 2023); 400 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment