Search This Blog

Saturday, January 20, 2024

LONE WOLF

4.5 stars out of 5

The only disappointment I have with this series is that I didn't get started earlier; my first encounter was the sixth installment (this is the ninth), and I haven't missed one yet. I must say it's probably my least favorite of the four I've now read, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy the heck out of it.

But I do love Evan Smoak, otherwise known as Orphan X and the "Nowhere Man." The former government assassin escaped that program and now operates from a high-tech, high-security penthouse, helping people who have nowhere else to turn. He didn't escape the assassin part, though - when necessary, he doesn't hesitate to take care of business on a permanent basis. But this time, he sort of fell into a case reluctantly, after getting a phone call from his half-brother Andre's young daughter Sophia, who begs him to find her missing dog Loco, Evan ends up in the home of a professor who's been murdered. The man's daughter, a singer, has been shot as well - and in danger of not making it. Evan chases, and loses, the killer - another professional assassin - a woman - known as the Wolf. Clearly, he needs to put her out of business, so early on, the chase is on.

Trying to find her embroils him in other murders and a high-stakes battle between a couple of powerful billionnaires over a product that threatens the future of the world. For help, Evan calls in his super-competent team that includes his young friend Joey, the tech wizard who's growing up fast and starting to explore a "normal" life. All the while, Evan has to keep looking over his shoulder to make sure the Wolf hasn't set her gun sights on it.

It's a complicated investigation that puts Evan's considerable skills to the test way more than once and forces him to deal with emotions he never knew he had (and isn't sure he wants). The chase to the finish reveals an ending twist that really rocks his world - and provides, I'm guessing, fodder for the next installment (to which, of course, I'm looking forward). Meantime, I once again thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review this one.

Lone Wolf by Gregg Hurwitz (Minotaur Books, February 2024); 400 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment