Search This Blog

Thursday, April 4, 2024

THE SECRET LIVES OF BOOKSELLERS AND LIBRARIANS

4 stars out of 5

It's safe to say that I'm a voracious reader; every year for the past half-dozen or so, I've read more than 100 (mostly mysteries and thrillers, if anyone cares to know). During the years our children were, well, children, and I had little free time to read for my own pleasure, I read to them - until they learned to read and took matters into their own hands. The point is, I've more than paid my dues at libraries and bookstores, and I have nothing but respect and admiration (and a little bit of envy) for those who own, manage or work in them. This book, then, was fun to read - listening in, as it were, to insights and inspiration from those who are being there, doing that and telling us why they think what they do is important - which, in fact, it is. 

Several spoke of the special satisfaction that comes from interacting with children (an issue near and dear to my own heart). As Mary Terry of a Barnes & Noble in Beaumont, Texas, noted, "A kid who reads is a kid who thinks."

At the Cleveland Public Library, Erica Marks says she's always on the lookout for books written by and speakers who are people of color - to better serve her community. Meg Wasmer, owner of Copper Dog Books in Beverly, Massachusetts, sees herself as a "detective" as much as a bookseller; she once located a book primarily based on the customer's report that the book she wanted had a blue cover. I can relate; I've lost count of the times over the years that I've advised people who need questions answered to check with the reference librarian at their local library (hint: they're s-m-a-r-t, and they know things).

More than one respondent spoke of another issue that has reared its ugly head again of late - attempts to ban books. The book professionals maintain, and I couldn't agree more, that parents can choose what their own children read; but they absolutely, positively do not have the right to choose the books anyone else's kids do.

The bottom line? If nothing else, this relatively short book is a nice tribute to some hard-working, dedicated and often under-appreciated professionals - and I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for allowing me to read and review a pre-release copy.

The Secret Lives of Booksellers and Librarians by James Patterson and Matt Eversmann (Little, Brown and Co., April 2024); 333 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment