Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2024

IN TOO DEEP

4 stars out of 5

Let me say at the outset that I've loved Jack Reacher for years (in the books, I hasten to add, of which this is the 29th). This one is not my favorite - maybe by half a country mile - but I stayed up past my bedtime to polish it off nonetheless.

Mostly, I guess, I just didn't warm up to any of the overabundance of characters - probably because it was a little hard to tell the good guys and gals from the bad. And for some reason, Reacher himself seemed a little "off" - but then, if I'd lost a chunk of my recent memory on top of trying to do my usual super-human feats with a broken wrist, I guess I'd be a little cranky as well. The wrist, in fact, is where it begins; Reacher wakes up tethered to a table in an unknown location. In typical Reacher fashion, he manages to get free - but he has no recollection of how he got to be where he is. So when a man arrives and shows him he's survived a car accident in the Ozarks during which an FBI agent was killed, Reacher decides, at least for the time being, to believe him.

But of course, not everyone is who they claim to be, and chapter perspective shifts let readers in on what's going on behind Reacher's back. Along the way, Reacher meets up with a disgraced female agent who's on the trail of the man she claims murdered her father - who, as it turns out, is directly connected to characters who are causing headaches for Reacher as well. Joining forces, then, is a no-brainer - especially since she's a computer whiz while Reacher remains a troglodyte when it comes to technology (although it amazes me how much he knows about it even though he doesn't even own a cell phone).

Needless to say, what they learn along the way turns out to be a huge threat to the American way of life, and as expected, saving our skins depends on Reacher learning the truth before the other side does. The fun - and action - is in the getting there, and trust me, there's plenty of it from start to finish. Another good installment, and I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for allowing me to read and review a pre-release copy.

In Too Deep by Lee Child and Andrew Child (Delacorte Press, October 2024); 328 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment