5 stars out of 5
It doesn’t seem possible that there have been 62 previous books in this series, though I know I’ve read my share. Set in the fairly near future, they’re guaranteed to be both intriguing and fun – and I can’t ignore the fact that police lieutenant Eve Dallas’s hunky husband, filthy rich Irish rogue turned police consultant Roarke, has long held a near-the-top spot on my all-time list of male book heroes (if anyone cares, No. 1 is fine art restorer and former Israeli spy Gabriel Allon, a best-selling series by Daniel Silva).This latest installment of this series carries on the tradition in fine fettle, starting with the death of a man who apparently fell accidentally, followed closely by the death of Lawrence Chu, a wealthy executive who’s been beaten so badly he’s nearly unrecognizable in his ultra-secure building. Someone must have had super-human strength plus more than a little fury (a nod to the title) – an emotion Eve knows all too well given her background - but how in the world did he or she get into the building to do the deed?
When still another body turns up beaten to an unrecognizable pulp, Eve learns they were both from the same company. And what’s that old chestnut – always follow the money? Connections begin to form with help from trusty Roarke, whose company is a rival with the one that employed the two dead men. The rest of the story basically follows the investigation led by Eve with help from Roarke and her coworkers (a favorite of mine is Dr. Charlotte Mira) - with a bit of diversion by way of an upcoming bash hosted by good friends. As always, it was tough to put it down, though I won’t call it the most edge-of-seat book in the series I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. Love it, though, and I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review a pre-release copy.
Fury in
Death by J.D. Robb (St. Martin’s Press, September 2026); 368 pp.

No comments:
Post a Comment