Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2018

A WRENCH IN THE WORKS

5 stars out of 5

I'm not a huge fan of cozy mysteries, but I warmed up to this one almost from the first page. By the time I finished, I was positively toasty!

This is the sixth in the author's "Fixer-Upper" mystery series, and since I've not read any of the other five, I went in with a bit of trepidation. But at no time did I feel at the slightest disadvantage; this one stands on its own beautifully (although finishing it did make me wish I'd read the rest - yes, it's that good). The author does an outstanding job of filling in background from the previous books - which should make series fans who may have forgotten a detail or two happy as well as those of us new to the game.

Part of the reason I enjoyed this so much is because I saw a bit of myself in lead character Shannon Hammer, who BTW has the perfect last name for a building contractor, which she is. I, too, fondly remember childhood years following my father around as he pounded nails, screwed screws and tackled home remodeling projects (once in a while letting me help). Unlike Shannon and her younger TV-star sister Chloe, though, I forgot everything I ever learned from dear old dad once I left home for college.

As this story begins, Chloe is returning home to Lighthouse Cove for the first time in a while, bringing with her the cast and crew of her very popular home improvement show. The intent is that Chloe and her co-star, Blake Bennett, will film their restoration of one of the elegant Victorian homes for which Lighthouse Cove is known. Included in the cast of characters is the show's particularly nasty producer - who "fires" cast and crew members with regularity, Chloe and her husband- the latter of whom just happens to be her husband.

Because of Shannon's building expertise, she'll be working alongside her sister on the show. Just before starting to film the first segment in which one of two homes will be selected for a redo, the sisters go for an inside look at the one they're hoping will be chosen and find something that can't be repaired: A dead body. Someone, it seems, had it in for producer Bree. But who? After all, virtually no one involved in the production liked her, except possibly her husband.

But the show must go on - and so it does, as does the investigation led by the local police chief, who seems to have put Chloe on his list of prime suspects. As filming begins, though, still another murder victim turns up and an extension ladder suddenly collapses with Chloe at the top. Clearly, someone's ratcheted up the action in Lighthouse Cove - and it's up to the police, with help from Shannon (who, for the record, has found several dead bodies over the course of the series), to identify the perpetrator before someone else bites the sawdust.

I especially enjoyed the details involved in filming the TV show as well as the strong characters like Shannon, Chloe and Shannon's handsome, ex-Navy SEAL boyfriend, Mac Sullivan. One of my objections to cozies is the headstrong, overbearing females who can't keep their noses where they belong and run off willy-nilly despite protests and outright warnings from law enforcement. There's almost none of that here; Shannon respects the police chief (a childhood friend), is quite capable and always does her "thing," but she does it sensibly without alienating everyone around her. That alone, I hasten to add, makes me eager to read more in this series. Many thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review an advance copy of this one. 

A Wrench in the Works by Kate Carlisle (Berkley, November 2018); 303 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment