Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2018

FEAR: TRUMP IN THE WHITE HOUSE

4 stars out of 5

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm squarely in the anti-Trump camp; as a self-described moderate to flaming liberal and long-time champion of overall human and First Amendment rights (not to mention a retired newspaper editor), his election to the Presidency has been a bitter pill that remains stuck in my craw. Almost every day, the man does or says something else that, IMHO, sets our already great country back at least 50 years. As such, reading this "inside look" compiled by a respected journalist was a must-read.

No doubt I'm not alone;  it's clearly a popular book among readers with my mindset, even though nothing much here struck me as something I didn't already know, or at least suspect. I'd guess that it won't have much appeal to Trump supporters; but that said, anyone looking for confirmation of his bullying people he doesn't consider to be "loyal" and bludgeoning anyone who gets in his way will find it in spades and call it a tribute to a [Make America] great man.

Detractors will, of course, cry "fake news," but I don't buy it; the author is reporting what others have seen and heard, with everything documented, footnoted and otherwise verified (a substantial portion of the book, in fact, consists of Source Notes). The story begins six years before the election and reveals Trump's pattern of "denial when needed or useful or more convenient." Or, as one Trump attorney reportedly said, "He's a professional liar."

It would be pointless to regurgitate all the insights from the book - you'll just have to read it for yourself if you want the down and dirty. Suffice it to say every page reinforces what I already believe with all my heart and soul: This is a man not even remotely qualified to be the leader of the free world (as a TV personality and businessman, I'll give him a pass, but not in our nation's highest office). This is an interesting and historically important book that deserves to be read - to be sure, I'm glad I did. Now bring on the mid-terms!

Fear by Bob Woodward (Simon & Schuster, September 2018); 449 pp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment