Search This Blog

Saturday, November 23, 2019

MAKE NOISE

4 stars out of 5

The only radio I own is in my car, and it probably hasn't been turned on in a decade (which, for the record, is five fewer years than the age of said car). If you ever find me listening to an audiobook, start unzipping the body bag - I'm almost ready. Streaming, to me, means the fish are biting and an earbud is somebody's hearing aid. So for the love of all that's holy, why am I reading a book about podcasting and audio storytelling?

In a word, curiosity. Perhaps born of a childhood infused with party-line crank telephones and gearshifts on steering wheels, I'm enthralled by "newfangled" gizmos and gadgets and determined to learn all I can about them (at the rate technology is advancing these days, that keeps me plenty busy). Add in years as a journalist - an industry that might not even exist were it not for curiosity - and hey, bring it on.

Factor in also that while podcasts themselves aren't all that recent, they seem to be multiplying like bunnies of late. There are more than 700,000 of them in 100 languages, the author says, and I believe him. Every day, it seems, another dozen TV talking heads, business owners and (barf!) politicians are begging me to tune into their offerings. It's a trend that as far as I can see isn't going away anytime soon, and I want to find out more. Now that I've read this book, that goal has been achieved.

Years of interviewing hundreds of people has made me painfully aware that far more time is consumed in the preparation process than in the actual writing of my newspaper articles, so the author's insistence that the same is true for podcasts certainly didn't come as a surprise. But for those who are considering the possibility of starting one - and, hopefully, making a few bucks in the process - it's a full-on reality check. Put another way, if you think that sitting down in your garage and speaking your mind into a microphone you snagged for $20 at Amazon will make you an overnight millionaire, think again. If you need further evidence, consider this: According to the author, fully 40% of all podcasts are abandoned within a year. What's in this book can help ensure that yours isn't among them.

To be clear, this book is not a step-by-step outline of the specific equipment you'll need, how to edit your tapes (yes, that's a must) and other finer points of actual podcast production. Rather, it's a detailed and interestingly written overview - by one who clearly is an expert in the field - of what anyone who's thinking about starting a podcast needs to know before plunging ahead. The nucleus of the book, the author notes, is "finding a balance between confidence and humility, between being clear and focused while remaining open, and that there is always an opportunity to improve." Achieving success, he adds, requires compelling stories and ideas, engaging characters and a unique voice. Perhaps first and foremost is identifying your audience in almost minute detail, thus allowing you to "learn to think like they listen."

There's a good-size portion devoted to leading teams - and while it serves up excellent advice for anyone who is, or will be, in that position, I admit to speeding through this section simply because even if I ever were to attempt a podcast, I'm sure my production efforts never would reach the level of cubicles filled with worker bees and my motivational buzzwords. Moving on, I  thoroughly enjoyed the final section on the history of podcasting and learned a good bit more of what I'd hoped for when I picked up the book in the first place. The whole thing is wrapped up with a list of recommended reading and online resources - always a plus for a how-to book.

Beyond recommending the book to anyone who's interested in starting a podcast, or in the start-up stages, or simply wants to learn more about the process as I did, I won't spill any more bean pods and instead urge you to read it for yourself. I'm certainly glad I did, and I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read an advance copy.

Make Noise: A Creator's Guide to Podcasting and Great Audio Storytelling by Eric Nuzum (Workman Publishing Co., December 2019); 264 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment