Search This Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2019

THE ARGUMENT

4 stars out of 5

To say that the family in this story is royally screwed up is an understatement. The parents don't have the least bit of redeeming social value as human beings, although by the end it was pretty clear how they came to be that way. The best I can say is that others in the story - themselves seriously flawed - managed to escape, though certainly not unscathed.

While I can't say I really "enjoyed" the book, I can't deny the almost inescapable "can't put it down" aspect. Had I not started it on an evening when a couple of favorite TV shows and a couple too many glasses of Labbatt's Blue hadn't intervened, there's no doubt I could have polished it off in one day (at 235 pages, not all that difficult to do).

The title refers to a battle of words between 15-year-old Olivia and her mother, Hannah, when Olivia returns home late after going to a party her parents had nixed. Olivia is so enraged at what she considers her parents' unrealistic, controlling attitudes that she announces she will never speak to her mother again. And by golly, she sticks to her guns - much to the angst and anger of her parents.

As for her parents, Hannah and Michael wish Olivia could be like her little sister, Rosie, who's both outgoing and compliant. Little do they know, though, that despite their efforts to keep Olivia from turning Rosie into a cohort, the two girls have formed a solid bond. As the story progresses, readers learn that there's much more going on in Olivia's head than typical teenage rebellion - and once that realization dawns on her mother, things begin to turn sour. Meantime, weird things start happening in what Hannah always considered a close-knit household - things that worry Hannah even more than the silence of her elder daughter. 

Honestly, I did guess the biggest "twist" a while before it was revealed, although to be fair I wasn't sure I was right until I read it with my own eyes. Toward the end, things got really hectic, and yes, from that point on, nothing would have stopped me from getting to that last page. Many thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley, for the opportunity to read an advance copy.

The Argument by Victoria Jenkins (Bookouture, December 2019); 235 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment