Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2021

THE TRAPPED WIFE

4 stars out of 5

When I read my first book by this author back in 2018 - The Reunion- I called it one of the best books of the year. No surprise, then, that I jumped at the chance to read and review a pre-release copy of this one, thanks to the publisher, via NetGalley. It also was no surprise, at least to me, that I enjoyed this one very much as well, although a titch less than the other one.

The plot is complex enough to be totally confusing, but - thanks to the author's writing skills - it's relatively easy to follow even before all the loose ends start coming together. Readers get a glimpse of a years-ago "friendship" between two school kids that turns evil; then one of Jenn, a recent widow with fuzzy memories of something awful that happened in her past. Then suddenly, we're in her present, as she learns she's unexpectedly pregnant and gets an unwanted visitor named Scott, who makes her skin crawl but won't leave. Chapters shift perspective from one of the youngsters to Jenn to that of her good friend, Rhonda. Tossed into the mix are Jenn's teenage son, Kierin, and Rhonda's teenage daughter, Caitlin.

Questions loom large: Who were those two young schoolyard friends, and are they related to what's going on now? What happened to Jenn (and maybe more important, what really happened to her husband)? Who is the house-crasher and why can't Jenn - a physician, for crying out loud - make him go away? That last part is the only thing I had a bit of trouble with; I'm never been a fan of women who try to rationalize behavior that's outside of what my idea of a "normal" woman would (or, IMHO, should) do - kind of like those idiots in horror movies who run toward a dark alley instead of a well-lit store when a monster is chasing them. By the end, the real reason for Jenn's lack of backbone becomes evident, though, thus changing the opinion I had of her throughout most of the book (whether for better or worse I'll never tell).

All the parts herein are intricately and expertly woven and come together in the end - complete with a couple of knock-out surprises. In short, it was well worth the time I spent reading it. Recommended!

The Trapped Wife by Samantha Hayes (Bookouture, September 2021); 268 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment