Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2022

STANDING ALONE

4 stars out of 5

As a big fan of this author's Dan "Spider" Shepherd series, I was eager to get my hands on this book (while lamenting the fact that I somehow missed the first one in the series). My conclusion? No shortage of action and I'm looking forward to the next installment, but Spider - who's a friend of SAS trooper Matt Standing, the hero of this series - remains my favorite of the two.

Another character from the Shepherd books plays a big role in Matt's life as well; Charlotte Button, who at least at one time was Spider's controller and now works for The Pool, a nefarious sort of organization that apparently ignores legal boundaries. Setting the rest of the story in motion, she contacts Matt with an offer he literally can't refuse even though he wants to: Chase down and eliminate an old acquaintance - a former Navy SEAL who's now out of the service and gone rogue.

Once in a remote and somewhat lawless section of the country that's a potbed for illegal production and sale of cannabis - where his target is believed to be hiding out - Matt meets up with a crusty but likable self-sufficient guy named Brett (and bonds with him so much so that he feels guilty for not being able to reveal his true mission). But while Matt spends a little time looking for the man he's supposed to kill, he spends far more dealing with the realities of a robust - and  cartel-controlled - marijuana industry that tromps on human rights and fiercely protects its territories.

And that is, I think, the biggest turn-off for me; the vast majority of the book centers on all these experiences (some of which nearly get Matt killed) and almost totally sidesteps his original quest to find Charlotte's man. Besides that, there are too many words spent on hot-button political issues like Big Pharma, legalization of marijuana and hemp, what's taught in public schools and such to suit me. That has nothing to do with whether or not I agree - to each his or her own, after all - but rather that I hear enough of that "stuff" in my daily life that I really don't want to read about it as well.

Since this is a series, it's no spoiler to say that Matt somehow makes it through to the end, although it's touch-and-go in a few spots. For the details, you'll just have to read it for yourself; if you love to see action heroes who don't back away from a good fight no matter what the odds, you'll love this character. As for me, I'll just say I enjoyed it very much and thank you to the publisher (via NetGalley) for the opportunity to read and review a pre-release copy.

Standing Alone by Stephen Leather (Hodder & Stoughton, January 2022); 324 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment