Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2022

THE GOLDEN COUPLE

5 stars out of 5

It's been awhile since I read a book I really, really didn't want to put down. Granted, that makes it tough to get on with life - even if I'm willing to skip a meal, my husband would prefer to not. Even then, I managed to polish it off in about a day and a half. What makes it so enthralling? Much of it, I think, it the psychology angle (my favorite subject and my college major). The story centers around Avery Chambers, a onetime therapist whose outside-the-box techniques landed her in so much trouble that she lost her license. But that hasn't stopped her; she's built a very successful practice built on an unorthodox 10-session approach that allows her to pick and choose her clients.

Among the wannabes is Marissa Bishop, who learned of Avery through a friend. Marissa's marriage to Matthew is in danger because she cheated on him - a one-night stand she's regretted ever since. She still loves her husband and their 8-year-old son, though, and will try just about anything to salvage their marriage. In the hope that Avery can save the day, she convinces her husband to go with her to the initial session that will determine whether or not Avery will take the case of the "golden couple."

Of course, she does (if she hadn't, this book wouldn't exist). Chapters outline their sessions, and in-between chapters focus on the individual characters, giving readers clues to what's really going on in their lives and minds (not the least of which is that all concerned have secrets they either haven't revealed or are outright lying about). In between, Avery tries to ferret out what isn't being said so she can get to the truth that will, supposedly, free Marissa and Matthew to live [together] and love again. 

To be sure, Avery's keen powers of deduction exceed those of any character I've ever read about in any book including the esteemed Sherlock Holmes, thus making it a little hard to believe in spots. But I was so caught up in the story that it bothered me only a tiny bit. Twists and turns popped up in almost every chapter, leading up to a biggie at the end (which, if I'm honest, I'll admit wasn't entirely unexpected). Beyond that I won't comment lest I ruin things for other readers. But I will repeat that I really loved this book - and I thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for allowing me to read and review a pre-release copy. Outstanding!

The Golden Couple by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen (St. Martin's Press, March 2022); 329 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment