Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2024

HOUSE OF GLASS

5 stars out of 5

I have a rule, albeit unwritten, that I never take a book to bed to finish unless I've reached at least the 90% mark (only once that I recall did I ever breach that rule, and then only by a percent or two). Until this one. So engrossed was I when it was time to head upstairs to bed that I actually ran back down to grab my e-book reader and cut short my usual bedtime routine so I could see how it turns out - with a little over 25% of the book left to go. To say I was hooked from the git-go, then, is an understatement.

Here's the skinny: An attorney who represents and advocates for children, Stella Hudson is assigned to the case of 9-year-old Rose Barclay, whose wealthy parents are in the midst of a divorce that's as amicable as divorces can get. After a thorough investigation that involves getting to know Rose's parents Ian and Beth, Rose's beloved grandmother Harriet, who lives with them, and Rose herself, Stella will make a recommendation to the court as to who will get custody of Rose. Both parents, of course, want her; and while they're seemingly agreeable to abide by a third-party decision, they're both chomping at the bit to make sure Stella is aware of all their good parental qualities.

Complicating the situation is the recent death of Rose's beautiful young nanny Tina, who somehow managed to fly through a third-story window in the family's century home, ending up quite dead. Rose, who witnessed Tina's fall, was so traumatized that she suffers from traumatic mutism; in layperson's terms, she is unable to speak. But what, exactly did she really see? The police investigation is inconclusive; no evidence was found of foul play - nor was a suicide note. The notion that Tina was pushed, though, raises the question of who did the deed? One of the parents? The grandmother? Or even (gasp!) little Rose?

Stella grapples with those questions as she tries to come to a decision that's fair, equitable and, most important of all, in Rose's best interests. Meanwhile, readers learn that Stella has some issues of her own - some eerily close to the situation she's now investigating. The pace doesn't let up till the end, when everything gets resolved. Therein, though, I have to admit to feeling a bit disappointed. That's not because it's terrible, or the writing started to fall apart; it's only because I was expecting - and really, really hoping - that a different character would be the culprit. Oh well. It still made for a riveting story - and I heartily thank the publisher, via NetGalley, for allowing me to read and review a pre-release copy. Super good!

House of Glass by Sarah Pekkanen (St. Martin's Press, August 2024); 352 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment